Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Russian Lesbians

A Russian lesbian couple were not allowed to marry in Moscow, therefore decided/hope to go to Toronto to get married. This is under Ontario laws, and therefore allows same-sex marriages. While they are under the Ontario law, they plan on changing the Russian law. Irina Fedotova-Fet, 30, said her partner, Irina Shipitko, 32, expected to be rejected in their quest for a Moscow wedding, but they still have their heads up high for this wedding, if approved, would act as a precedent for sweeping changes in favour of gay marriage in Russia. "I'm frustrated that I cannot do what I planned (marry) in my native country," Fedotova-Fet said through a translator from the couple's home in Moscow yesterday. "Canada and Norway are the only two countries where we can have this done." The couple made international headlines when they wanted to get to get married in Moscow and the Moscow State Registry Office immediately rejected the couple to be married. "I think we're the first (Russian) couple to try and do this," she said, noting "Canada is a popular destination for the Russian gay community."


This shows how much of a fair and good place Canada is. Regardless of who is against gay people in Canada, the law says that same-sex marriages are legal. I personally have nothing against same-sex marriages. If people happen to fall in love with the same sex, then so be it! Gender doesn't count when it comes to love/marriage. They are going to bring awareness all around the world, since they are the first couple to ever do this. Only Canada and Norway have this, maybe this will bring more countries to realize that same-sex marriage should be allowed.


No comments:

Post a Comment