The Jews and the Israelians have had long standing tensions with one another, and recently flared up again. This time it was because of an art installation set to debut next week. The Koffler Centre for the Arts has announced that it will be withdrawed, it was an exhibit about the life in Kensington market. They have withdrawed because of one woman named Reena Katz who is an artist. Katz,33, has been part of Israeli Apartheid Week, which is a controversial international movemnt on university campuses. They have been known to be criticizing the Israelians. "I'm shocked. I'm disgusted," said the visual and sound artist, who believes this is a case of blacklisting. "What they claim that I have said is not at all what I've said." On the website it has said that the Koffler Centre said it only recently discovered of Katz's public support and association with Israeli Apartheid Week. "As a Jewish cultural institution, an agency of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, the Koffler Centre of the Arts will not associate with an artist who publicly advocates the extinction of Israel as a Jewish state," the statement said. "The Koffler considers the existence and well-being of Israel as a Jewish state to be one of its core values." Katz said that the decision that the Koffler centre has made was a surprise. "I have said that I'm an anti-Zionist Jew. So they are conflating the state of Israel with Zionism," she said in an interview. "I'm speaking to an ideology when I speak about Zionism. They're speaking about a Jewish state." Katz has said that her political views were raised cause of the Koffler Centre. They agreed with the project that Katz was doing.
In my opinion, this is just a woman who has an opinion! I don't think she's the only one who has this opinion, and there are probably more people who are on Katz's side. This project of her's is just what is being expressed in her OWN opinion. There is no reason to make this a big deal. Races will always dislike each other for various reasons. This even happens in the Asian culture to, Japan and Korea, Korea and China. There are groups that are against another group all around this world. This is way out of hand, and I don't criticize this woman for her views. If she has these views, so be it. Why make a huge fuss out of it?
In my opinion, this is just a woman who has an opinion! I don't think she's the only one who has this opinion, and there are probably more people who are on Katz's side. This project of her's is just what is being expressed in her OWN opinion. There is no reason to make this a big deal. Races will always dislike each other for various reasons. This even happens in the Asian culture to, Japan and Korea, Korea and China. There are groups that are against another group all around this world. This is way out of hand, and I don't criticize this woman for her views. If she has these views, so be it. Why make a huge fuss out of it?

Above: Artist Reena Katz, who holds pro-Palestinian views, developed her 'each hand as they are called' exhibit to celebrate Jewish life in Kensington Market
No comments:
Post a Comment