Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Marijuana or Booze? Restaurant must decide

Ted Kindos faces two choices.
1. Continue being called a bigot
2. Break the law

Kindos owns a restaurant called, " Gator Ted's Tap & Grill " which is located in Burlington. Four years ago, a marijuana smoker smoked in front of his door and he told him to go away. A medically licensed toker complained to the OHRC ( Ontario Human Rights Comission ) of bias against a disabled person, he ended up winnning. Kindos was about the pay the fine and post signs saying " We accommodate medicinal marijuana smokers" When some other governement told him that he could lose his liquor license. Serving anybody a controlled substance is against the law. " Heads I win, tails you lose " Kindos said yesterday. " People didn't like the way I smell," the smoker, Steve Gibson, said and is one of 3,000 people in Canada who have the right to smoke medical marijuana to control their pain. He suffered a neck injury in 1989. Kindos now fights against the complaint, or he will lose his job and restaurant.

In my opinion, this is a very hard decision. It's hard to say that medical marijuana should be allowed, cause it's easy for the government to say that marijuana is illegal and should not be allowed anywhere, cause it's true. Mairjuana is an illegal drug, but smoking isn't. Kindos is trying to save his job and restaurant, but this will be a long trial. Personally I would simply go with the booze, it's legal. The law is above you, so I wouldn't test it if I were Mr.Kindos.





http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/585012

No comments:

Post a Comment